The first cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Haiti. As health providers around the world launch efforts to fight this deadly virus, we know that vulnerable countries like Haiti will face the greatest risks.
HAS is implementing our emergency response plan at the hospital. To begin, we are:
- Screening all patients at the hospital entrance
- Limiting foot traffic in and around the hospital
- Canceling normal visiting hours
- Postponing all elective surgeries and procedures
- Erecting tents for patient overflow
- Curtailing non-essential community health activities
Stocking necessary materials
- Producing 200 gallons of disinfectant daily to clean all surfaces
- Sewing masks that can be sterilized and re-used daily
- Stocking up on medication
- Building oxygen reserves
- Rationing supplies
Facilitating good hygiene
- Setting up additional handwashing stations in key areas of the hospital
- Installing Tippy Taps in the community
- Ramping up community education
In addition, we have been in contact with leaders of local healthcare institutions to share our plan of action for responding to COVID-19 and limiting the spread of the virus in the Artibonite.
Enacting this plan will push our staff and supplies to the limit. If you have the resources at this time, we humbly ask you to donate to help fight COVID-19 in Haiti.
We are grateful for this community that time and time again shows your compassion for helping those most in need.